Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Daniel 4:34-35

Yesterday we focussed on the 'seven times' of Nebuchadnezzar's life as a beast. However, I made the remark that later we would return to another verse:

'And at the end of the time I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my understanding returned to me; and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him who lives forever: For His dominion [is] an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom [is] from generation to generation. All the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing; He does according to His will in the army of heaven and [among] the inhabitants of the earth. No one can restrain His hand or say to Him, "What have You done?"' (Daniel 4:34-35)

A glorious statement from a man of much earthly glory. It is a rare thing indeed for someone in such a position of power and authority in the earthly kingdoms to be granted the mercy of seeing God as ever more glorious than themself. I love the words he uses – 'His dominion is an everlasting dominion', ie. Nebuchadnezzar had much dominion over most of the known world, but he had seen that his dominion was short lived, whereas God's would last forever. His kingdom is from generation to generation. I find this just such a thrill to read – it's the real testimony of a person that the world respected, but who gave it up for One who deserves our respect and awe much more.

Today's message is one of encouragement. How glorious is our Lord?! Let us humble ourselves before Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment